Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Fame Monster

Wow, so I'm quite excited as yesterday I got "The Fame Monster" by Lady GaGa and having lived with it for a day (short time I know!), I can say it's fantastic!
Before I go into it, there are a few things that are odd about this release:
Is it actually an album?
Is it a glorified re-release of "The Fame"?
Is it just a very clever stop-gap from the record label?
It's probably one of the above, but to be quite honest, I don't care too much about it being filler when it's this good!
EVERYONE must have heard "Bad Romance" by now? Having had over 20 MILLION views on Youtube in 2 weeks, I'm sure you may have heard it!
Well, the song is somewhat different from GaGa's previous work in that it's (to me anyway) a bit darker (haaate that phrase) and does seem a bit nihilistic, which is interesting as I like seeing that side of her.
The rest of the album (e.p?re-release?!) doesn't necessarily follow suit but there are definitely feelings of isolation and the pain that causes as well as some self concious questioning on tracks like "Alejandro" and "So Happy I Could Die".
"Monster" is great visually and has that kind of sadness that a lot of GaGa's songs seem to have (Papparazzi...) and is SO CATCHY you'll be singing it all day.
"Telephone" with Beyoncé seems almost out of place here mostly because of the kind of daft lyrics. It all just seems a bit "Jumpin' Jumpin" to me, a bit flashy. It will no doubt be everywhere though.
The stand-out for me is "Speechless" which sounds, almost like Queen, that same kind of EPIC songriting.
It's very touching lyrically and really shows off the Ladies voice. I hope she plays this live because even on record it makes me sentimental.
Whether it's an album, a stop-gap or a donkey, it really doesn't matter as "The Fame Monster" showcases some of GaGa's strongest tracks thus far and is, well fantastic!
DEFNIITELY buy this record.
I know a lot of people get annoyed by how much I like GaGa but she's just so unique in an arena full of people like Rihanna and Britney Spears who make music so obvious, so formulaic and so terribly boring!
Her appearance in itself is artistic. Her music, which some would argue is banal, is ludicrously far from as it pushes more boundaries (and buttons) than any other artist out there today.
To be honest, there aren't enough people like her which is a crying shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment